P earsons Funeral Home has been through many changes since it first became a part of the Lyndonville community around 1889.
Charles Dodge, son of G.E. Dodge, owner of the first furniture store in Lyndonville, took over his father's business in 1889. The store was located on Main Street in the old Mathewson block (where Flowerland is currently). Claude Watson became his partner 5 years later. In those days, funerals were held in homes, and sometimes in churches. Furniture makers were often casket makers, also. Dodge and Watson were described as “furniture dealers, undertakers and upholsterers.” (The Lyndon Independent, March 27, 1996)
In 1894, a fire burned many of the buildings on Depot Street. Dodge and Watson purchased one of the burned properties in 1897 and built a large, three-story brick building where they moved their business to in December of that year. The building still stands on the corner of Elm and Depot Streets. Later, they opened a funeral home on Church Street, which is where it has remained since then.